Thursday, January 22, 2009

Save Art Anyway You Can

I heard Ohio Theatre was being squeezed out of their space. I went to the website of the folks who bought the building where the Ohio has been for the last 30 years and found a "News" section. They proudly displayed a link from The New York Observer titled: Zar Snags Another Soho Lovely; Theater Group Fears Eviction.
I clicked on it to read more. The journalist states the facts, reporting 'good for Zar; bad for theatre' and quotes language from each company's website - "Zar Property NY has not let the fears of a commercial meltdown or "credit crunch" slow them down."

I decided I had to say my peace anyway I could. So I emailed the President.

"He'll think TWICE before he buys another multi-million dollar property!"

I realize an email is maybe as powerful as flipping off a bomb but I had to do it. I have to start opening my mouth if I want to feel integrity about my beliefs.


And I think I'm a little bored at work.


Dear Dario Zar:

I am not sure I recall having ever written my opinion to a complete stranger before except the time I wrote to Ronald Reagan when I was eight. But I read a story about your acquisition and went to your website. Then I read another article posted in the "News" section of your site. And I just HAD to say this to you. Please know I am typing with compassion for you and all of humanity. "Fears of commercial melt down and credit crunching" do not affect people who base their success on tangible 'acquisitions'. I honestly hope that one day you realize the true value of nurturing our most human element: Art. And I truly hope, for your own guilt and pain that WILL sneak up on you, it is not too late. This will affect something you love. Money is nice and if trophies are what you desire, you could at the very least give to those who are not capable of being like you but give to the world in a different, necessary way. They too must survive in this world. What happens to us when they die? Let the Ohio stay. Hell, it would be better press for you. I have no direct connection with the Ohio. I just performed there once and I just had to say that. Thank you for reading if you got this far.

Jennifer Boutell

2 comments:

Devereaux73 said...

www.litny.org

you should join.

because, you know, you've got nothing else going on.

:)

keelykate said...

stick it to the man Jen!!!