Thursday, March 19, 2009

Kids Today

I support art. I support folks expressing themselves in every way possible...as long as they aren't purposely inflicting harm to others or animals or the planet.

There is an exhibit right by my office and the name keeps popping up in my life so I thought I would check it out.

--

I was told it is an on-going exhibit that has never changed since 1979.

I heard that the space where it was located has been protected somehow from rent-increases and re-location.

I saw it listed in a book of "Quiet Places to Go in NYC".

--

On the outside of the door, the hours are displayed:

Wednesday - Sunday
12 - 6pm (closed 3 - 3:30pm)
Open each year September through June


It is called, "The Broken Kilometer" by Walter De Maria.

It is pretty cool. Big empty space with five rows of polished, solid brass rods laying on the floor, measuring to a kilometer. They are spaced as such that you can see every single rod all the way down to the end of the giant room. The light hits them and they shine for you.

It is nice. It is quiet. And again, I LOVE me some art. The weirder the better. Love LOVE LOVE stuff that is for no reason except to make you stop and feel something...anything...

But I find myself asking questions a lot these days like, "we spend money on this and New Orleans is still a friggin' mess?"

Screw AIG. Screw Cheney. I blame the likes of them for making me think this way.

No comments: